1. On which side of the road do drivers drive in Sumatra?
In Sumatra, as in the rest of Indonesia, drivers drive on the left side of the road.
2. What is the speed limit in Sumatra?
The speed limit in Sumatra varies depending on the type of road. On urban roads, the limit is usually 50 km/h, while on highways it can go up to 100 km/h.
3. Can I use my international driving license in Sumatra?
Yes, an international driving license is valid in Sumatra. However, if you're planning on staying for more than a few months, you may need to apply for a local license.
4. Is there any radar system to monitor the speed in Sumatra?
Radar systems are not common in Sumatra. However, the police occasionally set up random speed checks, so it's wise to adhere to the speed limits at all times.
5. Are there toll roads in Sumatra?
Yes, there are several toll roads in Sumatra, especially on the Trans-Sumatran Highway. You can pay the toll in cash or using an e-toll card.
6. What are some general driving rules in Sumatra?
Some general rules include: always drive on the left, adhere to the speed limit, overtaking should only be done on the right side, and seat belts are compulsory for all passengers.
7. Is it safe to drive in Sumatra?
Driving in Sumatra can be challenging due to heavy traffic and different driving habits. However, it is generally safe if you remain cautious and respect the local rules and customs.
8. How do I find fuel stations in Sumatra?
Fuel stations are widely available in Sumatra, especially along major roads and in cities. Many of them operate 24/7 and offer both gasoline and diesel.
9. What documents should I carry while driving in Sumatra?
While driving in Sumatra, you should carry your driving license, car registration document, and insurance papers at all times.
10. What is the road condition like in Sumatra?
Major roads in Sumatra are generally in good condition. However, some rural or mountainous areas may have poorly maintained or unpaved roads. It is advisable to check the route condition in advance, especially during the rainy season.
11. What should I do in case of a car accident in Sumatra?
If you're involved in a car accident in Sumatra, you should contact the local police and your car rental company immediately. Do not admit liability until you have taken legal advice.
12. Are there any specific rules for overtaking other cars in Sumatra?
In Sumatra, like in the rest of Indonesia, overtaking should only be done on the right side unless otherwise indicated.
13. Are car horns commonly used in Sumatra?
Yes, car horns are often used in Sumatra to communicate a range of messages, such as making other drivers aware of your presence. However, excessive honking is considered disrespectful.
14. Is it mandatory to wear seatbelts in Sumatra?
Yes, it is mandatory for both drivers and passengers to wear seatbelts in Sumatra.
15. How frequent are traffic jams in major cities of Sumatra?
Traffic congestion is common in major cities of Sumatra, especially during peak hours. It's advisable to allow extra time for your journey or avoid driving during these times if possible.