1. What side of the road do we drive on in Interlaken and Switzerland?
In Interlaken and throughout Switzerland, you are required to drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What are the speed limits in Interlaken and Switzerland?
Within city limits, the speed limit is typically 50km/h. On open roads, the limit is usually 80km/h, and on motorways, it's generally 120km/h.
3. Do I need a special driving license to drive in Interlaken?
No special license is required. Your domestic license is sufficient; however, if your license is not in English or doesn't have Roman script, an International Driving Permit (IDP) is recommended.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Interlaken and Switzerland?
Yes, speed cameras are quite common in Switzerland and fines can be high.
5. How are the traffic conditions in Interlaken?
Since Interlaken is a popular tourist destination, traffic can be dense especially during weekends and peak tourist season. However, traffic is generally well-maintained and moves smoothly.
6. What are some general driving rules in Interlaken?
Seat belts are compulsory for all passengers. Children under 12 are not allowed to travel in the front seat. It's important to give right of way to cars coming from the right unless otherwise indicated.
7. How safe is it to drive in Interlaken?
Interlaken is quite safe to drive. Roads are well maintained and sign-posted, and Swiss drivers are generally cautious and respectful of road rules.
8. Are there many toll roads in Interlaken and Switzerland?
No, there are no toll roads in Interlaken or anywhere in Switzerland. However, to use the motorways, a vignette (a sticker placed inside the car's windshield) is required.
9. How can I avoid tolls while driving in Interlaken?
There are no tolls to avoid in Interlaken or Switzerland. However, if you're planning to use the motorways, you'll need to purchase a vignette.
10. What should I know about parking in Interlaken?
Parking regulations are strictly enforced in Interlaken. White lines indicate free parking, blue lines mean you need a parking disc (which you can get from petrol stations) and yellow lines indicate no parking.
11. Can foreign drivers rent and drive a car in Interlaken?
Yes, foreign drivers can certainly rent and drive a car in Interlaken provided they have a valid driving license.
12. Is it common to use a GPS in Interlaken?
Yes, using a GPS while driving is common in Interlaken. It can be very helpful especially if you're unfamiliar with the routes.
13. What are the rules regarding crosswalks in Interlaken?
Drivers must always yield to pedestrians at crosswalks. It's both the law and a part of the Swiss driving culture.
14. Are there driving etiquette rules I should be aware of in Interlaken?
Swiss drivers are generally very respectful of the rules of the road. Always use your indicators when turning, give way to the right and be patient with slower drivers.
15. How are the road conditions in Interlaken?
Roads in Interlaken are in excellent condition. They are well maintained and signage is clear and easily understandable.