1. Which side of the road do we drive on in Appenzell and throughout Switzerland?
In Appenzell, as well as the rest of Switzerland, you should drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What are the speed limits in and around Appenzell?
In urban areas like Appenzell, the speed limit is typically 50 km/h. Outside of city areas, the speed limit on roads is 80 km/h and on highways, it's 120 km/h.
3. Can I use my home country driving license in Appenzell?
Yes, foreign driving licenses are accepted in Switzerland for tourists driving rental cars. However, the license needs to be in English or accompanied by an international driving permit.
4. Are there many traffic surveillance cameras in Appenzell?
Yes, Switzerland, including Appenzell, has a number of speed cameras, radars, and traffic surveillance systems. Fines for speeding are substantial so be sure to observe speed limits at all times.
5. Do I need to pay tolls when driving in Appenzell?
All drivers in Switzerland must pay an annual motorway toll, regardless of how much they use the motorway. For tourists, a vignette, or sticker, showing that the toll has been paid, must be visibly attached to the car.
6. What basic traffic rules must I observe in Appenzell?
Basic rules include giving way to the right, stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks, not overtaking in dangerous visibility conditions, and the use of dipped headlights during the day.
7. In the event of a breakdown, what should I do?
If you breakdown, you should put on a reflective safety vest, put up your warning triangle, and contact your rental car company or breakdown service immediately.
8. What should I know about parking in Appenzell?
Parking rules are generally indicated by signs and failure to comply with these could result in hefty fines. Paid parking is typically enforced in city areas and parking garages are often available.
9. How severe is the traffic in Appenzell?
As a smaller town, traffic in Appenzell is generally less severe than in larger cities. However, during peak tourism season and during festivals, traffic may be heavier.
10. What are the most common driving associated fines in Appenzell?
Common fines include speeding, driving without a vignette, illegal parking, and not giving the right of way.
11. Are there any specific driving regulations for driving at night?
No, driving regulations remain the same. However, drivers are required to use dipped headlights at all times, regardless of daylight.
12. Are winter tires mandatory in Appenzell during winter months?
While winter tires are not mandatory in Switzerland, they are highly recommended for safe driving in winter conditions.
13. How is road safety in Appenzell and Switzerland in general?
Road safety in Appenzell and Switzerland is generally high, with strict enforcement of traffic laws.
14. Are there special zones in Appenzell or Switzerland that I should be aware of?
Yes, some historic city centres in Switzerland have low-emission zones and you may need special permission to drive in these areas.
15. What should I do if I get into a car accident in Appenzell?
If involved in a car accident, you should immediately inform the police, your rental car company, and your insurance company.