1. What is the speed limit in Sion?
The urban speed limit in Sion and throughout Switzerland is 50 km/h. On open roads, the speed limit is generally 80 km/h. Highways and expressways have a limit of 120 km/h. However, these limits may vary and we recommend always checking the signs.
2. What driving license do I need in Sion?
A valid driving license from any country is acceptable in Switzerland for stays of up to 12 months. An international driving permit is not necessary but is recommended if the driving license is not in English, German, French or Italian.
3. Are there many speed cameras in Sion?
Yes, there are a considerable number of speed cameras on Swiss roads. This includes fixed and mobile speed cameras.
4. How are the tolls in Switzerland?
Unlike many other European countries, Switzerland does not have toll roads. Instead, it requires a highway sticker or 'vignette' to use the motorways. This is a single cost for the year and can be purchased at gas stations, post offices, or online.
5. What are the basic driving rules and safety measures in Sion?
Seat belts are mandatory. Children under the age of 12 or shorter than 150 cm must be in a child restraint. It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving unless with a hands-free device.
6. Could traffic be a concern during my stay in Sion?
As in any urban area, traffic can be congested during peak hours. Check local traffic reports before starting your journey to avoid any potential delays.
7. On which side of the road do we drive in Sion?
In Switzerland, as in most of Europe, we drive on the right-hand side of the road.
8. Is there parking available in Sion?
Yes, there are various parking options across the city, including metered street parking and public car parks.
9. What to do in case of a car accident in Sion?
If you're in a car accident in Sion, you should immediately notify the police, your rental company, and your insurance provider. Document the accident scene as much as possible and gather information from other involved parties, if there are any.
10. Do I need to wear a seat belt in Sion?
Yes, it's mandatory to wear a seat belt in both front and back seats in Switzerland.
11. Are radar detectors permissible in Sion?
No, it is illegal to use, possess, or sell radar detectors in Switzerland.
12. Should I expect animal crossings in Sion?
Yes, animal crossings are common in Switzerland, especially in rural areas. Always be alert for animal crossing signs.
13. Are there rest areas along the highway in Sion?
Yes, rest areas with facilities like toilets, picnic areas, and sometimes food services are common along Swiss highways.
14. What should I keep in my car while driving for safety?
In Switzerland, you should always have a first aid kit, warning triangle, and hi-vis jackets available in your car.
15. What if I need emergency assistance whilst driving in Sion?
Switzerland's general emergency number is 112, which can be dialed for immediate assistance.