1. What is the speed limit in Sitges?
The speed limit in Sitges is generally 50 km/h in urban areas and can go up to 90 km/h or 120 km/h in rural and expressways, respectively. Always follow the posted signs, as speed limits can vary by location.
2. Do I need a foreign driver’s license in Sitges?
If you’re a visitor in Sitges and possess a valid driver's license from your home country, you can drive. Those from outside the EU will also need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
3. Are there frequent radar speeding checks in Sitges?
Yes, speed radars are prevalent in Sitges and throughout Spain, ensuring drivers obey speed limits. Penalties for violations can be severe.
4. How does one pay for tolls in Sitges?
Tolls in Spain are point-based. You'll be given a ticket at the beginning of the toll way and later pay at the exit, with costs based on the distance travelled.
5. What are some important traffic rules in Sitges?
Among the rules: You must always give way to vehicles from the right and pedestrians on crosswalks. Using indicators is mandatory when changing direction. Carrying a spare pair of glasses (if you need them for driving) is also required.
6. Are there any specific safety driving rules in Sitges?
Wearing seat belts is compulsory. Children under 12 or less than 135 cm tall must be in a child seat. Using a hands-free system for your phone while driving is also obligatory.
7. How heavy is the traffic in Sitges?
Traffic can be busy during the summer months as Sitges is a popular tourist destination. You are advised to plan ahead.
8. Which side of the road do they drive on in Sitges?
As in the rest of Spain, people drive on the right-hand side of the road in Sitges.
9. Are there car-specific routes in Sitges?
Most roads in Sitges are open to all vehicles, but there may be some designated as accessible only for public transportation or bicycles. Look out for signs indicating this.
10. What actions are considered severe driving violations in Sitges?
Ignoring stop signs, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or exceeding speed limit by more than 50% are considered severe violations and may result in hefty fines.
11. Are there school zones in Sitges?
Yes, most schools in Sitges have specified zones with 30 km/h speed limit during school opening and closing times.
12. How do I handle roundabouts in Sitges?
At roundabouts, drivers already in the circle have the right of way. Indicate your exit with your right turn signal.
13. Can I park my car anywhere in Sitges?
Be sure to only park in allowed zones; do not park on yellow lines or in spaces with a 'Vado' sign. Look for blue zone areas where you can park for a fee, or white zones for free parking.
14. Can I use my mobile phone while driving?
No, it's strictly forbidden to use mobile phones while driving in Spain unless you're using a hands-free device.
15. What documents do I need to carry while driving in Sitges?
Always carry your driver's license, car registration documents and insurance paperwork with you when driving in Sitges.