1. What side of the road do you drive on in Hilversum?
In Hilversum, like the rest of the Netherlands, you drive on the right side of the road.
2. What is the general speed limit in Hilversum?
The speed limit in Hilversum is typically 50km/h in populated areas and can be up to 130km/h on expressways.
3. Are there many speed radars in Hilversum?
Yes, speed enforcement is regularly carried out by the police in Hilversum through the extensive use of speed cameras.
4. Do I need a special license to drive in Hilversum?
No, as long as you hold a valid driving license from your home country, you can drive in Hilversum and throughout the Netherlands.
5. What are the essential driving rules in Hilversum?
Basic driving rules in Hilversum include driving on the right, yielding to the right, and obeying traffic signs and signals. It's also compulsory to carry your driving license, car registration, and insurance documents while driving.
6. What about traffic in Hilversum?
Traffic can be heavy in Hilversum, especially during rush hour, so it's advisable to plan your journey in advance.
7. Are there many toll roads around Hilversum?
No, generally, roads in the Netherlands are toll-free. However, specific tunnels and bridges do levy a toll.
8. What should I do in case of a road accident in Hilversum?
In the case of an accident, it's crucial to stay at the scene and contact the authorities immediately. It's also recommended to take photographs and contact your car rental company as soon as possible.
9. How is parking in Hilversum?
Hilversum has several public parking facilities and street parking. Remember to pay the parking fee to avoid fine.
10. Are children required to be in child seats?
In the Netherlands, children under 1.35 meters are required to be in an appropriate child seat in both cars and vans.
11. Can I turn right on a red signal in Hilversum?
No, unlike in some countries, in the Netherlands you are not allowed to turn right on a red signal unless indicated by a traffic sign.
12. Can I use bus lanes in Hilversum?
No, cars are generally not allowed to use bus lanes. They are reserved for public services vehicles.
13. Is road rage common in Hilversum?
Road rage is rare in the Netherlands. However, like anywhere, it can happen. Keeping calm is the best approach to confrontational drivers.
14. Is it troublesome to drive in the winter in Hilversum?
Winter weather can make driving more challenging in Hilversum, like in the rest of the Netherlands. It's important to stay alert and keep up to date with weather forecasts.
15. How do I prepare for long drives in the Netherlands?
Ensure you have a valid driving license and familiarize yourself with the routes and traffic rules. Keep a roadmap or GPS handy, take regular breaks and ensure your car is in good condition.