1. Which side of the road do we drive, in Derby?
In Derby, as in the rest of the UK, you must drive on the left side of the road.
2. What are the general speed limits in Derby?
Generally, the speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways in Derby and the rest of the UK is 70 mph. The limit drops to 60 mph on single carriageways and to 30 mph in built-up areas, unless otherwise indicated.
3. Can foreigners drive in Derby with a non-UK driving license?
Yes, foreign drivers can use their foreign driving license to drive in Derby and other parts of the UK for up to 12 months from their last entry into the country.
4. Do all roads in Derby have speed cameras?
Not all roads in Derby have speed cameras, but they are quite frequent on motorways, dual carriageways and in some areas with lower speed limits.
5. Are there any special driving rules in Derby I should be aware of?
In addition to driving on the left, you should know the UK's 'give way to the right' rule in roundabouts and that the use of the horn is restricted in built-up areas between 23:30 and 07:00.
6. Are there toll roads in Derby?
Most roads in Derby and its surroundings are toll-free, but you may encounter some toll roads when travelling to other parts of the country.
7. How busy is traffic in Derby city centre?
During peak hours, traffic in Derby city centre can be quite busy. However, traffic congestions are usually less severe than in larger UK cities.
8. How can I find information about driving regulations in Derby?
You can find information about driving regulations in the UK, which also apply to Derby, from the Highway Code, available online and in most bookshops.
9. How effective are road signs in guiding the way around Derby?
Road signs in Derby are regulated by the UK's standards, and they are usually well-positioned and clear. They should effectively guide you around the city and its surroundings.
10. Can I drive in Derby using my International driving licence?
Yes, you can use an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your home country's driving licence to drive in Derby and the whole UK.
11. Are the roads in Derby well maintained?
Generally, main roads and motorways around Derby and the rest of the UK are well maintained. However, smaller rural roads may be narrower and less well maintained.
12. Can I turn at a red light in Derby?
Unlike some other countries, in the UK (including Derby) you are not allowed to turn at a red light unless a sign specifically allows you to do so.
13. Can I use a hands-free device while driving?
Yes. While using a handheld mobile phone while driving is illegal, you can use a hands-free device. However, you could still be pulled over if you're deemed not in full control of your vehicle.
14. Can I overtake on the left in Derby?
On British roads, including Derby, you must overtake to the right. Overtaking on the left is only allowed in certain circumstances, such as in congested conditions where the left-hand lane is moving faster.
15. Does Derby have parking restrictions?
Yes, Derby does have parking restrictions. Always check for any parking signs and lines which can indicate if any parking restrictions apply.