1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Brighton?
In Brighton, as in the rest of the UK, you must always drive on the left side of the road.
2. What are the speed limits in the Brighton area?
In residential areas, the speed limit is usually 30 mph (around 50 km/h). On single carriageway roads, the speed limit is typically 60 mph (around 100 km/h). On dual carriageways and motorways, the speed limit is usually 70 mph (around 112 km/h).
3. Do I require an International Driving Licence to drive a hire car in Brighton?
If you have a valid driving license in English, you can drive in the UK up to 12 months. For non-English licences, an International Driving Permit is suggested.
4. Are there speed cameras in Brighton?
Yes, in Brighton and throughout the UK, there are active speed cameras and traffic enforcement cameras. Fines for speeding can be quite high.
5. How dense is the traffic in Brighton?
Traffic in Brighton can be dense, particularly during rush hours, which are typically between 7-9 am and 5-7 pm.
6. What are some key driving rules in Brighton?
Always drive on the left, obey speed limits, don't drive in bus lanes during operational hours, and use indicators when turning. Roundabouts are common so ensure understanding of roundabout rules before driving.
7. Are there toll roads around Brighton?
There are no toll roads in or around Brighton, but they do exist in the UK. Toll fees will depend on the type of vehicle and the specific road.
8. What parking facilities are available in Brighton?
There are several car parks in Brighton city centre. Be aware that parking can be expensive and spaces might be limited during peak times.
9. Can I drive with a US licence in the UK?
Yes, US license holders can drive in the UK for up to 12 months from their last entry into the country.
10. Can I use European road signs in the UK?
Road signs in the UK may be different from those in mainland Europe. Familiarise yourself with UK road signs before you drive.
11. Are there many roundabouts in Brighton?
Yes, roundabouts are common in Brighton and across the UK. You should understand the rules before navigating them.
12. Can I use my own car's insurance for a hire car in Brighton?
Usually, you can't use your own car's insurance for a hire car in the UK. The hire car should come with its own insurance.
13. What should I do in case of a car accident in Brighton?
If you're involved in an accident, you should collect as much information as possible and report the incident to the police and the hire car company.
14. Are pedestrian zones common in Brighton?
Yes, there are several pedestrianised areas in the Brighton city centre where cars are not allowed.
15. Is Brighton a bicycle-friendly city?
Yes, Brighton is a bicycle-friendly city, and drivers must be cautious and respectful towards cyclists at all times.