1. What is the speed limit in Tottenham?
The speed limits in Tottenham and across the UK differ depending on the type of road. The typical limits are 30mph in built-up areas, 60mph on single carriageway roads, and 70mph on dual carriageways and motorways. Always pay attention to road signs as the local speed limit may be lower.
2. Is a specific driving license required to drive in Tottenham?
Visitors with a valid driving license from their own country can usually drive in the UK for up to 12 months. However, they must meet the minimum age requirement which is 17 for cars.
3. Are there many speed cameras in Tottenham?
Yes, there are speed cameras throughout Tottenham and the wider UK, both fixed and mobile. They aim to enforce the speed limit and improve road safety.
4. Are there toll roads in and around Tottenham?
There are a few toll roads, tunnels and bridges in the UK but none in or immediately around Tottenham. Most motorways in the UK are free to use.
5. What are the general driving rules in Tottenham?
On top of the usual international driving regulations, there are a few rules specific to the UK, such as driving on the left-hand side and giving way to traffic from the right at roundabouts.
6. Can I expect heavy traffic in Tottenham?
As with most cities, Tottenham can have rush hours, typically between 7-9am and 5-7pm on weekdays. It's best to avoid these times, if possible.
7. Which side of the road do I drive on in UK?
In the UK, you must drive on the left-hand side of the road.
8. Is there a congestion charge in Tottenham?
No, the London Congestion Charge doesn't apply to Tottenham. But if you plan to drive into central London, you may be subject to fees.
9. What documents do I need to bring while driving in Tottenham?
You must always carry your driving license, proof of car insurance and identification.
10. Is child safety seat necessary for driving in Tottenham?
In the UK, all children up to 135cm tall or 12 years old, whichever comes first, must be in a child car seat approved by EU.
11. How can I know about the road works in Tottenham?
Online traffic information services or local radio can provide up-to-date information about road works.
12. Can I use foreign driving permit to hire the car in Tottenham?
Yes, you can. However, the car hire company may require your permit to have been valid for at least a year (or sometimes two).
13. Are hazard warning lights used in Tottenham?
Yes, but only to warn other drivers of a potential hazard or when your car is temporarily obstructing traffic, such as when you've broken down.
14. What happens if I get a parking ticket in Tottenham?
If you get a parking ticket, you should pay it as soon as possible. Unpaid tickets may result in greater fines later on.
15. Is it common to find parking space in Tottenham?
As with many urban areas, parking can be limited in the city centre. However, the local council provides off-street car parks and there are also private car parks available.