1. What is the speed limit in Enfield and throughout the country?
Local speed limits in Enfield are clearly signposted and generally range from 20mph to 40mph. On motorways, the maximum speed limit is set at 70mph.
2. Do I need a UK driving licence to drive in Enfield?
If you hold a valid licence from another country, you can drive in the UK for up to 12 months from your last entry into the country.
3. What should I know about driving on motorways in the UK?
Motorways are marked with an 'M', for example 'M25'. The hard shoulder is only for emergency use; do not drive in it. It's advisable to stay in the left-hand lane unless you're overtaking.
4. Are there any toll roads in Enfield and the UK?
There are a number of toll roads, bridges, and tunnels in the UK. However, most roads do not require toll payment. It's best to plan your route accordingly if you wish to avoid these charges.
5. Are there any specific driving and safety rules to be aware of?
UK driving laws necessitate that cars drive on the left side of the road. UK law also requires all car occupants to wear seatbelts, and warnings are in place for those not adhering to these guidelines. It is illegal to use a handheld mobile device while driving.
6. What side of the road do we drive on in Enfield?
In Enfield and throughout the UK, you drive on the left side of the road.
7. Are there speed cameras in Enfield?
Yes, in Enfield, as in the rest of the UK, there are speed cameras in operation. Always respect the speed limit to avoid fines.
8. What car papers do I need to drive in Enfield?
You need to have your valid driving licence, proof of insurance, and car registration documents.
9. Can I make a right-hand turn at a red light in Enfield?
Unlike some countries, you are not allowed to make a right-hand turn when the traffic light is red in the UK.
10. How are the road signs in Enfield and the UK?
UK road signs follow international conventions. You will find signs in miles, yards, and feet.
11. Is road rage common in Enfield?
Road rage can happen anywhere but it's generally not a common occurrence in Enfield. Good road etiquette is encouraged and appreciated.
12. What is the policy on honking in Enfield?
In general, honking is not encouraged unless to alert others of your presence for safety reasons. It's illegal to use your horn while stationary or in a built-up area between 11:30 pm and 7:00 am.
13. Is parking easy in Enfield?
Parking spaces are available in Enfield but can fill up quickly during peak times. Be aware of parking restrictions, particularly during the week.
14. Do I need special insurance to drive in Enfield?
It's always advisable to have car insurance that covers accidents and breakdowns. Make sure your insurance covers driving in the UK if you are a foreign visitor.
15. What to do in case of an accident in Enfield?
After ensuring everyone's safety, exchange details with the other party if there is one. You will need to report the incident to your insurance company and may need to report it to the police as well, depending on the circumstances.