1. What is the standard speed limit in Barnstaple?
The limit in built-up urban areas, including Barnstaple, is usually 30 miles per hour (mph), though some areas may have a 20mph limit. On single carriageway roads, it is typically 60mph, and on dual carriageways and motorways, it is 70mph.
2. Do I need an International Driving Permit to drive in Barnstaple?
If you have a full driving licence from an EU or EEA country, Switzerland, or another country that has reciprocal arrangements with the UK, you can drive in Barnstaple without an International Driving Permit.
3. Do exist speed cameras in Barnstaple?
Yes, speed cameras are widely used across the UK, including Barnstaple, to enforce speed laws.
4. Do I need to pay any tolls when driving in Barnstaple?
There are no toll roads in Barnstaple. However, some bridges and tunnels in the UK require tolls.
5. Are there specific driving rules I should be aware of in Barnstaple?
The Highway Code applies throughout the UK, which includes rules such as not driving in bus lanes during restricted hours, and giving way to buses pulling out of stops.
6. What are some general road safety tips when driving in Barnstaple?
Observe speed limits, don't use your mobile phone when driving, wear a seatbelt at all times and ensure you're familiar with the Highway Code.
7. How is the traffic in Barnstaple?
Like any city, Barnstaple can experience traffic congestion during peak times. It is advisable to plan your journey in advance and allow extra time.
8. On which side of the road do you drive in Barnstaple?
In Barnstaple, and throughout the UK, you must drive on the left-hand side of the road.
9. Are there any exceptions to the speed limit in Barnstaple?
Yes, if signposted, speed limits may sometimes be different due to roadworks or other changes. Always follow the signage.
10. What should I do if I get caught speeding in Barnstaple?
If caught speeding on camera in the UK, you will normally be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) and a request to identify the driver, which you need to respond to within 28 days.
11. What documents do I need to carry when driving in Barnstaple?
You should always carry your driving licence, along with your hire contract if you're driving a hire car. You're not required to carry insurance or vehicle registration documents, as these are held electronically.
12. Are there any specific rules for driving on motorways in Barnstaple?
The same rules apply as elsewhere in the UK: keep left unless overtaking, observe speed limits, and don't stop except in emergencies.
13. Can I park my car anywhere in Barnstaple?
No, parking restrictions apply in many areas. Always check signage for restrictions before parking your car.
14. Is there anything particular about driving through roundabouts in Barnstaple?
Roundabouts are common in Barnstaple. When approaching, you should give way to traffic on your right and follow the roundabout in a clockwise direction.
15. Can I use a GPS navigator while driving in Barnstaple?
Yes, you can use a GPS navigator or a smartphone for directions. However, it's important to input your destination before you start travelling to avoid distractions.