1. What is the general speed limit in Rennes?
The general speed limit in Rennes and in urban areas in France is 50 km/h. On highways, the limit is usually 130 km/h in clear weather and 110 km/h in adverse conditions.
2. Can a foreign driver's license be used in Rennes?
Yes, foreign driving licenses can be used in France for a period of one year from the date of arrival in the country.
3. Are there any specific driving rules in Rennes?
Driving in Rennes follows the general French driving rules. You must drive on the right-hand side of the road, and give way to drivers coming from the right unless otherwise indicated.
4. How prevalent are speed cameras in Rennes?
Speed cameras are common throughout Rennes and the surrounding areas. It is important to adhere to the speed limits to avoid fines.
5. How does the toll system work in France?
Tolls are common on French highways, and charges are based on the distance travelled. It is possible to pay these tolls with cash or a credit card.
6. Is the traffic heavy in Rennes?
Traffic in Rennes can be quite busy, especially during rush hour. It is advisable to avoid peak travel times if possible.
7. How are the parking regulations in Rennes?
Free parking is limited in Rennes. It is recommended to use one of the various parking garages in the city.
8. Are there any mandatory items to carry in the car?
Yes, in France it's mandatory to carry a reflective vest, a warning triangle and a breathalyzer in the car.
9. What are the rules regarding child seats?
All children under the age of 10 must travel in an approved child seat or booster seat.
10. What should I do in case of a car accident?
If involved in a car accident, it is mandatory to stop even if it's minor. You should then secure the accident area, alert the police and fill out an accident report form ('constat amiable').
11. Can I use my mobile GPS device while driving?
Yes, it is allowed to use GPS devices, as long as the driver isn't manually operating it while driving.
12. Is it allowed to smoke while driving?
Smoking while driving isn't prohibited in France, but it's recommended to avoid it as it could lead to distraction.
13. Can I use headphones while driving?
Headphones for both music and phone calls are prohibited while driving in France.
14. Can I drive in bus lanes?
Only buses, taxis, bicycles and emergency vehicles are allowed to use the bus lanes. Cars are not permitted in bus lanes unless specifically indicated.
15. Can I turn right on a red light?
Turning right on a red light is not permitted in France, unless a separate green arrow light for right turns is on.