1. What is the speed limit in Kajaani and in the rest of the country?
The typical speed limit in Kajaani city is 50km/h. On highways, the maximum limit is usually 120km/h. However, always check for posted road signs as the speed limits may vary depending on the road conditions.
2. Do I need a license to drive in Kajaani?
Yes, a valid driver's license is required to operate a car in Kajaani. If your license is not in English, we recommend that you have an International Driving Permit along with your original one.
3. Are there speed cameras or radars in Kajaani?
Yes, speed cameras and radars are commonly used in Kajaani and throughout the country to enforce speed limits. Drivers who exceed the speed limit may be fined.
4. Do I need to pay tolls while driving in Kajaani?
No, there are no toll roads in Kajaani or in Finland.
5. What are some common driving rules in Kajaani?
ENotable driving rules include always giving way to vehicles from the right and to vehicles on the major road in case of cross paths with no signs. Blinkers should be used when changing directions. Drivers must use dipped headlights, even during the day.
6. Is the traffic bad in Kajaani?
As a smaller city, Kajaani does not typically have heavy traffic compared to larger cities. However, during peak hours, there may be slight congestion.
7. Which side of the road should I drive on in Kajaani?
In Kajaani and throughout Finland, you should always drive on the right-hand side of the road.
8. What should I know about parking in Kajaani?
As in the rest of Finland, in Kajaani parking must be on the direction of the traffic. Parking is usually paid but costs tend to be reasonable.
9. What should I do in case of an accident?
In case of a car accident, call emergency number 112, ensure safety of everyone involved and report the incident to the car rental company as soon as possible.
10. Is roadside assistance available in Kajaani?
Yes, most car rental companies offer 24/7 roadside assistance. Moreover, nationwide service is available by calling number 0200 8080.
11. Are animals a traffic problem?
Keep an eye out for wildlife on the roads, particularly when driving through rural areas or forests, especially at night.
12. Is it safe to drive in all seasons?
Finland weather varies greatly across seasons, winter requires special attention due to snow and ice on the roads. Make sure your rental car is equipped with winter tires.
13. What should I do if my car breaks down?
If your rental car breaks down, contact your rental company immediately. They will provide you with instructions on what to do next.
14. Where can I find information about current traffic conditions?
You can visit the Finnish Traffic Management Center's website for real-time traffic information.
15. Can I drive off-road with my rental car?
Rental car companies have policies vary, and it's recommended to respect these policies. Typically, off-roading is not allowed due to potential damage to the car.