1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Fargo?
In Fargo, as in the rest of the country, you should always drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What are the speed limits in Fargo?
The speed limit in urban areas in Fargo is typically 30 miles per hour, while on most highways it's 55-70 miles per hour. Always observe posted signs as they may indicate different speed limits.
3. Do I need an international driving license to drive in Fargo?
No, you do not need an international driving license but you do need a valid driver's license from your home country. Ensure it is written in English or is accompanied by an official English translation.
4. Are there many toll roads around Fargo and throughout the country?
There are very few toll roads in North Dakota and in Fargo specifically. Nonetheless, you should always be prepared to pay tolls when you hit the interstate or enter a different state.
5. What rules should I be aware of when driving in Fargo?
Key rules include: obeying speed limits, stopping fully at stop signs, not driving over painted lines at crosswalks, and observing all road signs and signals.
6. What are the common traffic issues in Fargo?
Fargo has a rather low traffic congestion level compared to other US cities. However, keep in mind that extreme weather, especially in winter, can lead to traffic disruption.
7. Is it common to have speed radars in Fargo?
Yes, speed radars exist in Fargo and they are used by the local law enforcement to ensure drivers adhere to the maximum speed limit.
8. Is there any specific driving safety rule in Fargo?
Yes, drivers must yield to pedestrians at all crosswalks and intersections. Additionally, using turn signals when changing lanes is mandatory.
9. Can I use my home country driver’s license in Fargo?
Yes, as long as it is valid, is in English or has an official translation to English.
10. What if my driver’s license is not in English?
You should carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your home country license.
11. If there’s a car accident, what’s the procedure?
Inform the police immediately, seek medical attention if needed, exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver and notify the car rental company as soon as possible.
12. Are there strict parking restrictions in Fargo?
In general, parking in Fargo is abundant and free of charge. However, keep an eye on possible restrictions, especially in downtown Fargo.
13. How do I pay if I cross a toll road?
Most toll roads operate electronically and will either require a small device in the car for auto-payment or will bill you via mail by photographing your license plate.
14. Are there specific rules for turning right at a red light?
Unless otherwise indicated by a sign, drivers in Fargo are permitted to turn right on red after coming to a complete stop and ensuring the way is clear.
15. What documents should I have while driving?
Always have your driving license, passport, car rental agreement, and insurance documents on hand when you are driving.