1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Peterborough?
In Peterborough, as in the rest of the UK, you should always drive on the left side of the road.
2. What is the general speed limit in Peterborough?
The general speed limit in built-up areas is usually 30 mph unless indicated otherwise. On single carriageway roads it is typically 60 mph and on dual carriageways and motorways it is generally 70 mph.
3. Can I drive in Peterborough with my foreign driver's licence?
Non-UK licence holders can drive in the UK for up to 12 months from the time they become resident. After that, they are required to exchange their licence for a UK one.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Peterborough?
Yes, speed cameras are common in Peterborough and across the UK. They are put in place to enforce speed limits and ensure road safety.
5. Are there toll roads in and around Peterborough?
There are generally few toll roads in the UK, and none in Peterborough. However, certain bridges, tunnels and motorways may require payment of a toll.
6. What are the most important driving rules in Peterborough?
Key rules include: driving on the left, adhering to speed limits, not driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and stopping fully at red traffic signals.
7. What is the penalty for speeding in Peterborough?
Speeding fines in the UK generally start from £100 and can go up to £1000, or more if the case goes to court.
8. Where can I find out about traffic conditions in Peterborough?
Real-time traffic information can be found on websites like the Highways England or on local radio stations providing travel updates.
9. Are there specific rules for driving a hired car in Peterborough?
Generally, there are no specific rules for driving a hired car, beyond common rules for car operation in the country. Always check with the hire company for any specific requirements they may have.
10. What regulations exist for parking in Peterborough?
Parking regulations vary. It is always best to check the local signs. Incorrect parking can result in a fine or your vehicle being towed away.
11. Are car seat laws strictly enforced in Peterborough?
Yes, children under 12 years old or less than 135cm tall must use an appropriate child restraint. The car seat laws are strictly enforced.
12. Can I turn right on a red light in Peterborough?
No, you should not turn right on red. In the UK, you can only proceed through a red light if directed by a police officer or traffic warden.
13. Are roundabouts common in Peterborough?
Yes, roundabouts are widely used in the UK, including Peterborough. They are used to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion.
14. Is road rage a common occurrence in Peterborough?
Road rage can occur anywhere, but it is not a common occurrence in Peterborough. British drivers are known for their courtesy and patience.
15. Can I use high beams in Peterborough?
High beams can be used in UK when there is no oncoming traffic, but they must be turned off when another vehicle is approaching, to avoid dazzling other drivers.