1. On which side of the road do I drive in Merton?
In Merton and throughout the UK, you should always drive on the left side of the road.
2. What are speed limits like in Merton?
Speed limits vary depending on the type of road. It's typically 30mph in built-up areas, 60mph on single carriageways, and 70mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
3. Can my overseas driving license be used in Merton?
Yes, if you're a visitor you can drive in the UK on a valid driving licence from your own country for up to 12 months.
4. Are there traffic cameras and radar in Merton?
Yes, there are speed cameras, red light cameras, and a variety of different type of radar systems to enforce traffic rules.
5. Can I expect more traffic in Merton compared to other towns?
Merton, like any urban area, can have busy traffic during peak hours. However, the volume of traffic is quite average when compared to other towns in the UK.
6. How are the car parking facilities in Merton?
Merton offers a range of parking facilities including on-street parking and car parks, with varying charges.
7. Are there toll roads when I drive in and around Merton?
There aren't any toll roads in Merton specifically, but do note that the UK does have some toll roads, bridges, and tunnels.
8. What should I know about pedestrian crossings in Merton?
Always stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings. Other crossings have specific lights signals for car drivers.
9. Should I expect more roundabouts in my travel around Merton?
Yes, roundabouts are common in the UK and Merton, just always remember to give way to traffic coming from your right on a roundabout.
10. What is the process if there is a car accident in Merton?
In the event of an accident, stop and ensure all people involved are safe. Report the incident to the police and inform your car hire company as soon as possible.
11. Is there any age restriction for driving a car in Merton?
Yes, in the UK, the minimum driving age is 17. However, car hire companies may have their own age restrictions, typically 21 to 25.
12. Are there specific rules for driving with children in the car?
Yes, children up to 135 centimetres tall need to be in a child seat appropriate for their weight, and children aged 12 or younger (or shorter than 135cm) cannot travel in the front seat without the correct child restraint.
13. Are there any particular rules for using a GPS while driving?
The GPS must be set up before you start driving. It's illegal to hold any device while driving, so make sure your GPS is safely mounted.
14. What types of roads can I expect in Merton?
Merton has a mix of different types of roads, from residential streets to major highways, so navigating through the area is varied but manageable.
15. How do UK traffic rules and regulations differ from the rest of Europe?
The main difference is driving on the left side of the road, but there are other rules too. A detailed guide of UK road rules is advisable for any driver visiting from overseas.